Strawberry Chocolate Swirl Oatmeal
Well, by popular demand, I have another Jar of Yumminess recipe for all of you on this lovely Friday! This one is the uber delicious “Strawberries Dipped in Chocolate” JOY — also known as: one of the most heavenly combinations known to man.
ALSO… because of yesterday’s Vegan Grocery List post, I wanted to give you something fun to make this weekend with your new grocery goodies.
While I have always been a sucker for the delicious blend of tangy berries with sweet, gooey chocolate… I have to admit, when I was a kid I didn’t always spring for the berry + chocolate combo on the dessert table. I usually picked desserts that were either entirely chocolate, chocolate + mint or chocolate + peanut butter. I left the berries right on out.
But as I grew older and healthful eating became such a priority in my life, a chocolate dipped strawberry seemed like the greatest negotiation for a dessert that I could find. You have your fruit and healthy carbs covered, and you have the chocolate that makes a dessert necessary covered… so I started gravitating toward those berry + chocolate combos.
It wasn’t until I got even more invested in the healthful eating movement and eventually into veganism that I realized even those chocolate dipped strawberry treats were full of preservatives, fake sugars and additives that I didn’t want in my body. I experimented with vegan chocolate dipped strawberries, and let me tell you, they are GOOD – but I decided it was about time I made a super healthy, super yummy breakfast out of the two.
And then… voila. The Strawberries Dipped in Chocolate JOY was born. It’s simple… oats + raw cacao powder + more oats + strawberries + coconut yogurt + bananas, annnddd because I’m fancy like that, some cacao nibs & chia seeds (optional).
P.S. When I posted this photo on Instagram the other day, this awesome little Q&A a Day journal got just as much action as the breakfast shot itself. It’s a pretty amazing idea!
– 1 cup oats
– 6 fresh strawberries
– 1 banana
– ¼ cup cacao powder
– ¼ cup coconut yogurt
– OPTIONAL: sprinkle of cacao nibs & sprinkle of chia seeds
– 1 strawberry for garnish
- Boil the oats in water until they are fully boiled.
- While the oats are boiling, slice the strawberries and banana, and get out your blender.
- Blend ½ cup of the boiled oats with the 6 strawberries, and layer into the bottom of a mason jar or glass.
- Layer the coconut yogurt over the strawberry oats, and then layer the sliced banana on top of the coconut yogurt.
- Blend the other ½ cup of oats with the cacao powder.
- Layer the chocolate oats on top of the banana.
- Top with the cacao nibs and sprinkle of chia seeds (or whichever toppings you normally prefer)! Garnish with strawberry.
Interested in more Jar of Yumminess (JOY) recipes? Visit JOYs on my Recipes page! Have a very happy weekend, beautifuls!